Sunday 27 September 2009

Meatless Monday :- Bean burgers and soya cheese.


Ok..The first post for Meatless Monday (or MM!).
The following may seem complicated but is really simple, just plan ahead the first time and you'll breeze through it :)

For the bean burgers you will need...

1 can of green lentils (@400g) in water.
1 can of red kidney beans (@400g) in water.
@2 tbs of plain flour (I used Doves farm gluten free plain flour)
1 1/2 tbs vegetable stock granules (I used Marigold Swiss bullion vegan stock)
1/3rd tbs marmite or vegemite
1 small handful of oatmeal.(or add extra flour if excluding gluten from your diet)

In a large bowl, whizz all the ingredients with a handheld blender, till smooth but not runny.
With floured hands shape the mix into burgers (makes @11/12 small burgers), and place on greased baking sheet.


Leave in the fridge to shill for @ 1 hr or more.

To cook, spray with a little olive oil and cook in a moderate oven (@ 180-200 o)until crisp. Alternatively you can shallow fry for a moister burger.

Served in this recipe with a baked sweet potato and vegan cream cheese. Also goes very well in a bun with all the trimmings!

For the cream cheese you will need:-

@1 lt of PLAIN soya yogurt.

Use an old clean tea towel and peg inside a large jug. Pour the yogurt into the towel and leave to drain for a couple of hours.


After a while it should look like this.





This "cream cheese" can then be used with salt and herbs for a savory spread or dip, or sweetened with agarve nectar and vanilla essence to substitute for cream or even a cheese cake filling (veeeery nice:)

You should have enough to put half back in the fridge for another day, or to use as a topping for dessert :)

Let me know how you get on!

3 comments:

  1. Mmmmmm this looks so good! I've been interested in making my own veg burgers, so this is a great reciepe! What's marmite and where could I find it?

    The cream cheese looks amazing! What an increible idea. I've been looking and looking for something that has the same texture as Tristan used to love cream cheese. And being able to flavor it how you want is fun too. I'll have to see if soya yoghurt has casien in it though. I know sometimes it shows up in places you wouldn't expect it.

    I'm going to put this on my menu for next week so I'll let you know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marmite is a yeast extract...looks like thick molasess, gives a "meaty" kick to veggie dishes, is high in B12 vits. YOu can sub it for any other product you think might give you the same taste.
    I think you can buy some herehttp://www.shopnofrills.ca/ontario/default.aspx ?? but I may be wrong.

    Yeah you are right to check the soya yogurt, I was caught out by that once. The UK brands are fine (I use alpro soya) but I once bought some soya milk shake from a chinese market, later I realised it not only had milk in it but also FISH!! *gag retch* Alfie cried and said it tasted like soap!LOL.

    Ah well live and learn :P

    Enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooo I'm all about B12!! I often use nutrional yeast in reciepes to give a cheesy taste interesting that yeast is used in this way too.

    You're so sweet to have looked up a grocery store all the way over here. I'll have to check them out.

    Ugh Fish in a milk shake? That is wrong on many levels.

    ReplyDelete

Fight Against Crush Videos :(

Classic Black Logo