Sunday 6 September 2009

The Land Rover and extreme recycling.

When it comes to travel of the 4 wheeled kind I'm afraid there is only one car for my family.

The Land rover, that quintessential British car, is the ultimate in green driving...so long as it's done properly.
Granted, mile for mile of course your hybrid is going to look greener and cleaner...but....

But.

Its all relative. I mean if I do 500 miles a week (low end of the mileage in this area) in a hybrid but only 2 miles a week in a land rover..which is better?

Take our Land rover.
It's been a month since we got this car and it still hasn't left the yard. Granted it wasn't running for the last Three weeks but here it is ...a week after being deemed "road worthy" and there hasn't been a reason to take it out.

Also there is the beautiful art of fixing the Land Rover.

Here we have a picture of my darling talented husband ;)







See that green wire there?
That is the choke..the wire that helps the engine start....guess where it came from?
Owens old bike that's where!

See what I mean!
That's HIGH art!

He's a very talented member of our family, to showcase another talent (in case you thought he was a one trick pony) here is another picture showing the beautiful "pantry" he built me.
OK, its shelves in the hall, but its handy handy handy!
The side is from the lid of an old seeder that is slowly being used in various home projects, the shelves themselves are cannibalised from an old cheap shelving unit.




Looking around my house now I can see so many built in shelves that we have made from scrap, so many bits of wood and metal that should by rights be in a landfill somewhere...Reduce, Reuse...and of course in the last instance, always re-cycle ;)

2 comments:

  1. Isn't it incredible that once you don't have a car you realize you really didn't need it as much as you thought you did? Somehow you manage or make do or realize you where just being lazy ;)

    The shelf looks great! So organized too I'm envious! Now that my smallest is mobile and has figured out how to open cupboards anything below waist level is a disaster!

    Not only is recycling great for the planet, you guys have also saved money on not buying stuff. Thrifty and green! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh I don;t miss that stage at all!! 3 or 4 years ago all the cartons on that low shelf would have been opend by now!! lol.
    I used to dread taking my boys to peoples houses where they had things like ornaments on low tables! nuts!
    Its only the last year or so that stuff has started creeping lower :P

    ReplyDelete

Fight Against Crush Videos :(

Classic Black Logo