Monday 15 March 2010

The psychology of green-ness or "We're all class-less now, right?"

Although I have not always been as green as this (and its never enough is it!) I do remember always having it at the back of my mind.

Yes, even though I was a child of the decedent, wasteful 80's, in a household that, for a while at least, treated eating out and having takeaways as the norm rather than the exception, and credit cards took regular hammerings, even then I had an inkling that all was not as it should be.

(I should just point out here that my parents are now some of the greenest people I know!! love you mum!!xx)

Call it common sense maybe, but I began to despise waste, even when money was no real issue in my very early married years, I still saved leftovers and went to charity shops.

But then I began to realise that many people were not only apathetic to this mind set but openly hostile.

For example. About six months after my eldest son was born a neighbour announced she was pregnant. Naturally I went over to congratulate her and took a bag of baby clothes that Ollie had out grown. These where, for the most part, brand new clothes that had been worn once or twice. Anyone with babies know that clothes in the 0-6 months range only get a chance to be worn very briefly.
Well when I offered her the bag you would have thought I'd offered her the severed head of her husband.
She literally recoiled, mumbled that she wanted new clothes for her baby and that was pretty much the last I saw of her.

I had considered this an isolated incident but it happened more and more. People would give me a wide berth if I mentioned a love of charity shops, as though maybe wearing second hand clothes I was carrying some sort of poor disease they could catch.



Typical charity shop fayre ;)


When Kim happend to mention to his ex-boss about something he had brought in a charity shop (it may have been a jacket that was being admired at the time) She sneered and said "You'll never catch me in a charity shop!"

A woman was quoted in the newspaper, in a feature about vintage clothing (and charity shops) that she "...wouldn't shop in charity shops and would leave that to people who were too poor to buy new clothes."

And THAT dearies, nails it on the head!

Never mind that by buying goods at a charity shop you are... a) grabbing a bargain b)Donating money to charity, and c) keeping said good OUT of a landfill.

No no no, never mind all those reasons, the BIG one is that people don't want OTHER people to think they are POOR. That they can't affored to buy new.

The terror of appearing less than affluent surely stems from this idea that we're now all "middle class", that mother need never slave over a boiling pot of terry nappies while father cycles to his job down t'pit.
Now, of course, EVERYONE is entitled to a 50" TV and a 2 year old car and 2 weeks in the sun a year. A brand new mobile, 3 wardrobes of clothes they didn't need and don't wear.
We own this time kids! Lets throw some money at it and be happy!

It doesn't stop at an aversion to charity shops though. It means people would rather drive 2 miles to work than ride a bike. That they would rather throw away a perfectly good jacket than get the zip fixed, that they would rather struggle to pay the heating bills than turn it down and put on another sweater and pull a blanket over their knees on the sofa.

Its this stupid keeping up with the Joneses that is eroding not only the planet but any common sense we may have had in past generations.

I'll make a pledge if you make it too!

I solemnly swear, that should I win the lottery, I will STIIL cycle and buy charity shop stuff and use Freecycle/Freegle.

What about you?

4 comments:

  1. Well, Kelly I totally agree with you!
    As a kid I was almost exclusively dressed in hand-me-downs and jumble sale clothes. My Mum bought our first washing machine for a fiver and our dining room table for a tenner from a junk shop (Dad renovated the table and they still use it now!).
    I grew up appreciating new things because they didn't happen very often. Inevitably I became the hoarder that I am today and I still have the view that most things can be fixed with a little effort and know-how.
    In my teens I became a charity shop expert, it was an excellent way (and still is) to find clothes at a reasonable price that are practically unique ... I had a style of my own and I was never caught wearing the same outfit as anyone else.
    However, when people asked where I got my stuff from, I realised that it was better to keep schtum about their provenance and therefore leave an air of mystery around where I sourced my groovy attire! :)
    Don't get me wrong, I did go through a period of being a 'good consumer' (as Malcolm would put it!). When I was single and earning I had cash to spend on all sorts of rubbish, but I soon snapped out of that frenzy (thank goodness!).

    I am therefore happy and proud to join you in your pledge! :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's kind of funny how attitude differ in different countries.

    Around our area it's a fairly common thing for young adults/college students/high school girls to shop at the Goodwill store. Lots of new stuff, some still with tags on 'em! My youngest has worn hand-me-downs her entire life, with the occasional new piece when necessary. I'm lucky that my best friend has two daughters who are two years and four years old than my kid. By the time those clothes get to my youngest, they've already been through two other kids! So I don't feel bad when they get stained, ripped or worn out. They've done their duty!

    For the record...I still have clothes I wore in HIGH SCHOOL! I am pathetically out of fashion. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I take your pledge as well Kelly! I think there really needs to be a paradigm shift in societal values. Like you said so many feel this expectation of entitlement to new things and don't feel "whole" unless they are out there consuming. The new family outing is now shopping when it should be playing and interacting.

    I have always worn second hand clothes. My mom actually worked at Goodwill for 25 years and worked her way up to director of sales. I also worked at one of the thrift stores through high school. I always buy second hand when I can. And the thing is for the most part if you have a good eye you can pick up amazing things and no one will even know they are used. So why not?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenn the fact that you can still FIT into your high school clothes has made me sick with jealousy :P

    I guess attitudes are differnt in diffrent countries.
    Maybe its because the UK is having this huge push for everyone to hava certain standard of living, and people are keen for others to see that they do..on the outside at least.
    The government want us to be class-less but people have a fixed idea on what middle class (which is what people seem to think is being class-less lol) is meant to be.
    New car, 4 bed house with extension, holiday in the sun, new TV, blu-ray player, New CLOTHES, because what is easier than new clothes to show someone how well you're doing?

    The thing is they can't all affored Boden and Gap, so they go to places like Tesco and Primark (like clothes shopping at Wal Mart??)SO they buy heaps of cheap, sweat shop made clothes ....

    At least when you buy charity shop clothes you can feel a little ethical as your keeping the clothes out of the landfill. And what is more tradgic than the thought of a child slaving over making cheap clothes only for said clothes to be disposed off after one wear?

    ReplyDelete

Fight Against Crush Videos :(

Classic Black Logo