Monday 29 March 2010

CAUTION!! Heavy post ahead!

Sometimes I've been known to flex the grey matter, to ponder on the deeper things in life, to even get a little philosophical..... OK, no snickering at the back there!!

On the Freeconmy blog a commenter accused us all of being like religious zealot's following a new Messiah.
Well at first I was aghast!!

Damn it he called me religious!!

But then I calmed down and thought about it....and yeah, he is kind of right.

WHAT IS RELIGION (She writes on the blackboard) *full stop*
Well, what IS religion, other than a series of beliefs and faith in a teacher.
So if someone comes up with a set of ideas that show a "path" to inner peace (be it a well tended garden or the secrets of a video game or Nirvana) its got to be a sort of religion right?

I don't consider myself religious. I have no Christian faith, no belief in a higher being, a heaven, a hell. I don't run my life in accordance to any book or teacher.
I am not Atheist though, to be a true Atheist is to have no faith.
I have plenty of faith, but not in some white bearded dude in a dress.

I only really have time for the old religions. The faiths that were forged on the coming and going of the seasons, the religions that celebrated birth and death and everything in between.
If I am drawn to any it is the Wiccan faiths.
I have a deep respect for a faith that celebrates Ostara with fornicating hares and eggs and doesn't try to hide the meanings behind the more benin bunny and chick and *somethingsomething* about some resserection of *somethingsomething* and Oooooh is that a CHOCOLATE EGG!!??     

The Sabbats observed by the Wiccan/Pagen people are more in tune with the seasons and of real life. They show the quickening of spring, the bounty of harvests, the sleeping of the land and the need for mid winter celebrations to lift everyone's spirits a little.
There is never any threatening.
No one is told they MUST observe this rite or forfeit the the Kingdom of Heaven/whatever.
If the Christian God  and Allah are the disproving stern fathers who are gonna tan your hide if you don't obey, then Wiccan gods are your peers, they don't rely on you to keep the faith as you don't rely on them to provide huge miracles in their name.
They are one of the few religions that treat men and women as equals. No shunning of the women folk during their monthlies here!
Every God has his Goddess, every Lord his Lady.
Perfect balance in everything.

The role of the Goddess is one of the strong woman, from the innocent Maiden to the wise Crone, she is a valued and valuable member of society, not just a means for breeding more men.

Its the balance of nature, the equality and the flexibility that appeals.
I read into it for a couple of years and even tried it out, but the rituals felt false and stilted, like playing dress up.
But I don't feel any less Wiccan-ish.
I dig my hands in the dirt and connect to the earth. I tend my animals and connect to nature. I walk in the wind and rain and connect to the elements. I love my children and connect to that age old, almost lost art of family, of belonging.

Ok... off to rest the old noggin.

Blessed Be? ;)    

4 comments:

  1. I an unable to comprehend why the God of Christianity is more 'real' than the God/Prophet of the Muslims, Hindus or the relatively new 'God of Consumerism'? Who were we to decide that 'our' God reigns supreme, if at all?

    I try to be tolerant of all people's beliefs and in return expect them to accept mine.

    We home educate in Western Australia where many of the home-schoolers are strict religious fundamentalists. Their children are not allowed to attend school, in order that they do not learn evolutionary science. Creationism being order of the day for these families.

    Considering that our family is following the 'Natural Learning' curriculum (which basically means NO curriculum) us and the religious folk seem to get on pretty well, within the home school environment. I don't blaspheme in their company and they accept my Buddha that sits in the garden and our Hindu Goddess that holds the front door open!

    I'm interested to learn about all religions and what makes people follow them. I love the connections with nature made by the Pagan peoples and also the religions that offer a balanced celebration of both males and females.

    If we all agreed to disagree, and left it that, the World would sure be a more peaceful place.

    And as for the blogger's suggestions that Mark Boyle is a new Messiah, well that's just ridiculous! He's a normal bloke with some smart, common sense ideas which he's not afraid to stand up and share with the rest of the World.

    Thanks for another great blog Kelly xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Online shopping-Big Range of branded car stereo, car amplifiers, car subwoofers, car bluetooth, Car CD player, Mobile Video, Satellite Player, iPod Car Adapter Kit, Car Alarms, Car GPS Navigation SystemsCar Stereo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always had a sneaky susspsion that that's "all" Jesus was... a guy with some good ideas ;)

    I know what you mean about tolerance.
    I have Christian friends, when I was in school I had Muslim and Hindu friends, it just wasn't an issue. My kids take religious studies in school and take part in all the "Christian" activities at school like Xmas and easter and its all good.
    I must admit to not having looked too hard at Buddism but am I right in thinking its ideals are not disimilar from paganism?
    No Patriacle God looming over you and threatening you?
    I think thats what I shy away from.
    I would rather have faith in "gods" I could look up to and admire and strive to be like rather than an unobtainable God who seems like the Father you can never please. People pay therapists good money for working through probelms caused by their REAL fathers being like that! lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tend to vere towards Sufism, myself. There is no overlord to bend to. Sufism is a philosophycal aproach to life and is not regarded as religion. Everyone in the world is regarded as an equal and therefore it`s accepted that not every religion or belief can be suited to everyone. Live and let live the way everyone sees fit, is a great moto to live by. Tolerence is a pre-requisit for sufism, that`s all that`s needed. That suits me fine. But I`m also open to all other beliefs and willing to learn more about them.

    ReplyDelete

Fight Against Crush Videos :(

Classic Black Logo