Monday 10 August 2009

Kicking the habbit

I think few people really know how addicted they are to their cars, or maybe more how addicted they are to the easiness of getting somewhere and all the other off shoot addictions that stem from that.
After a particularly crappy day of things going wrong, hard work and frayed tempers, I was standing in the tack room and round myself thinking "God, I wish we had the car. We could go up town and get some chips and something from the shop."

WHOA!!

Lets take a step back here.
When did I become the sort of person who measured her happiness in fried food and snacks?? (1990 actually, but that's another story :P )
It would have been so easy....such a rubbish day, we all needed a boost, chips and chocolate and coke would have felt goooood..But only for a while.

As it turns out I slunk indoors and surveyed the contents of my cupboard, which initially looked bare as the moon. I pulled out a bag of TVP (Textured Vegetable Protein) and eyed it cautiously.
I soon realised I had the makings of a veggie chili and with some paprika roast potato's (dug from the garden) we had a meal.
And not just a meal, but a GOOD meal in all ways, everyone ate it (even the littlies ate the potatoes) and declared it scrummy!

But how easy would it have been to drive to town and spend £20 + on crap.

Our car-lessness has taken us by surprise and I relish the little things it is showing us.
I need to hang onto these moments when I am cold and wet I think ;)

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on going without the car!

    One thing is for certain, it is easy to forget just how lazy and depend we can become on our vehicle. But it looks like after only a very short while you're already seeing the benefits. And your chili sounds yummy to boot!

    I look forward to reading about your new adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Odum :)
    Yeah..its hard to not get a little evangelical about how good it feels..dare I say a little smug?? lol.
    This blog lets me vent and STILL keep my friends ;)
    I plan to write something most days, esspecially in these early days while we are getting used to it..and I dare say there will be posts where I admit that sometimes not haveing a regular car sucks...butthen car owners gripe about traffic on the way home all the time yeah?
    Anyway, thanks..avidly following your blog too :)

    ReplyDelete

Fight Against Crush Videos :(

Classic Black Logo