Wednesday 20 February 2013

You can tell when springs on the way....


Fluffy legs, the cockerel, has been showing everyone just how close we are to spring.
Not only is he being overly friendly with all the girls, but he's also going through an aggressive stage as testosterone surges through his body after a quite winter.
So, naturally, after being flown at feet first when feeding, I've been forced to chase him around a bit so that he backs off again.
To be fair I tend to try and stay out of his way, my thoughts are that a cockerel isn't much good if he ISN'T looking out for his girls, watching him chase off a hawk one day is testimony to that, he does his job well.
I draw the line however at him actively attacking me. 
Those spurs are BIG!Luckily he's remembered his manners and is patiently watching me with a beady eye when I go into feed them once again.       

One of things that's happened though is I FINALLY know which of last years chicks are hens and cocks and  YAY!!! Out of the four only one was a boy!! 
Now I know I can name them.... I put off naming them so here it goes, in the time honored tradition I have of naming them after book characters. 


"Gatsby"
(The new cockerel)

"Miss barker"
(Gatsby's sister)

"Daisy"
(Blossoms daughter)

"Myrtle"
(Daisy's sister)




"The Aunties"
(The last two hybrids) 


....and in case you forgot about her... little "Blossom" (Or pram face)

The runs looking awful at the moment, heavy rain and snow have stripped it of grass. 

                                     

We're building a new one to give he main run a rest and tidy. 


Eventually we'll kit this one out as a winter run .


More pics when its done :)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Fight Against Crush Videos :(

Classic Black Logo