Tuesday 1 March 2011

Dusting off the bike for 2011!

My poor bike hasn't had a good winter.
For a start winter came early, stopping her from feeling the wind in her spokes and THEN some careless person left her outside and it snowed.... and snowed.....and snowed ....AND snowed some more.

Luckily she is a well made bike and a little tlc and grease and shes up and about again.

I've been out 3 times in the last 5 days and GOD have I missed it!

A bit like doing anything that involves effort, I put it off and off until I really DID have to use the bike because I had a job interview.
Of course it doesn't hurt that the last few days have been very spring like, blue skies, light breeze, lots of bird song, weather like this after the horror show of winter can't help but raise the spirits.

The reason I love riding  the bike is because its exercise with a purpose.

I'm not a huge fan of just going for a bike ride, but I do love using two wheels to get somewhere, to run errands or go to work. I feel the same about walking, I need a dog to walk with otherwise I don't see the point.
This is why I can't do anything in the gym.
Cycling or running on the spot? With no purpose?

Some may argue that the purpose is to loose weight or get fit but maybe I just see it as a waste of time. I mean come on... most people drive to the gym, you could style there and back for FREE and not have to go in.

What I love about cycling in real life is the fact that if you reach a hill you have to get to the top. Even if you can't cycle all the way you still HAVE to physically get there, even if you get off and walk, its still exercise. In a gym, on a stationary bike I would give up as soon as I got a bit puffed.

So shoot me, I'm weak.

Also you have to love the fact that every slog up a hill is rewarded with a fee wheel down hill to get your breath back!

This year though I am going to treat myself to a new saddle.
Mine is a fairly bog standard saddle and although I own a ladies bike its not really a ladies saddle. In fact my seat bones sit snugly either side of the saddle... not comfy.
So a nice new WIDE seat is the way forwards I think.

I also want to kit the bike out better for carrying stuff.
I use a backpack but its limiting and makes your back sweat on hot days.
Last year I tried a basket on the front, although it was better it wasn't very stable, only being attached to the handle bars, I really need something like a front parcel rack to keep the basket steady.
Panniers might also be a way to go as well.

Anyway.

Here comes spring :)


         

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fight Against Crush Videos :(

Classic Black Logo