Sunday 27 February 2011

More Eco-dilemmas

 The other week I brought two pairs of leggings from Tesco, two pairs for £8.
Nothing fancy, just bog standard leggings.

Wore the one pair under a dress when i went out for a drink, then went to wear the other pair yesterday.

But DAMN IT!!!

As I went to pull them on I noticed a gaping hole along the inside leg seam.
On closer inspection it looks like something went wrong while being sewn up, one end it sewn tight, the other unravelling.

Well for a moment I stood there glaring at the hole filled with consumer indignation!
How inconvenient!
Now I was going to have to take them back to Tesco.

Then I stopped.

What would happen to the leggings once I handed them over?

I'm not sure, but I'm betting they don't get sent away to be mended and sold again.
In fact I'm pretty sure they go in the bin.

I had a quick search online to see if I could find any reference to what happens to returned damaged clothes and couldn't find any.
I wondered if they donated them to one of the clothing charities, but figured they would publicize something like that pretty well.

So I looked at the hole again.

Wouldn't take a few minutes to fix good as new.

Put them on the mending pile and saved my consumer rage for something I won't be able to fix myself. 

       

2 comments:

  1. I worked in retail for years, and I can tell you what the company I worked for did. Any damaged items went in the trash. Even if it was something as simple as a little hole or a broken zipper. We had to even shred the garments to trash them so the manager would be sure we wouldn't take it back out of the dumpster to take it home or donate it somewhere. The mentality was that employees might slightly damage something we wanted so we could take it home for free. Way to think poorly of your employees, huh? It was heartbreaking for me to shred (almost) perfectly good clothing. Way to save something from the trash!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome pathtogreen :)
    I pretty much thought that what would happen. How terrible though!What's the harm in donating the clothes? It would Make people more inclined to think good thoughts about the company and maybe shop there? I dunno, its the waste that makes you weep... I feel pretty good about not returning the legging now!

    ReplyDelete

Fight Against Crush Videos :(

Classic Black Logo