Tuesday 1 December 2009

Which ethic should I follow today?

The trouble with making the choice to be compassionate about more than one thing, whether it be animals, the environment, children in sweat shops etc, is that some days you find it almost impossible not to run up against one while trying to do the other.
For example today we drove to town for two reasons, 1.The bus is more expensive (really!) and 2.We had a lot of things to do (and carry)and would have missed the bus.
So we immediately run up against problem number 1. We wanted to hit the charity shops but knew what we wanted would be too bulky to get on the bus. So is charity shop the way or should we have stayed home, spent MORE money and brought it new?? But why buy new when there is a cheaper 2nd hand one??

Breath!

The next thing is the goods I brought.
I was after two things in particular cushions and puppy stuff.
Well I fell at many hurdles there.
One of the cushions I brought was not only silk but filled with duck feathers!! A double anti-vegan whammy!
Then I found the perfect tiny collar for my new puppy...but in leather.

I could have course have brought both of these items in ethical materials, even eco-friendly materials, but they would have been new...manufactured for ME, using up carbon and resources and ....Lots of other stuff!!

So I think I have to draw a line.

You can drive yourself NUTS trying to be a super hero for everyone.
I think that buying from charity shops absolves me from a few nasties. I am in effect buying someone elses "rubbish" Things they no longer want and they COULD (and many people DO!) have thrown these items in a landfill rather than gift them to a charity shop.

Now don't get me wrong.
I wouldn't go and buy a leather jacket or fur coat because it is someones rubbish, I would feel very uncomfortable doing that, but a wee collar for my pup? (99p!!! Never been used!!) or a cushion for my soon to be built sofa? (75p!!!)no. Im not going to feel torn over these.

The charity shop is a win win.
I get to buy items I need (also brought some Xmas pressies for people today!)at prices I can afford. I not only make a donation to charity BUT I also keep unwanted goods out of landfills.
Also, in the case of books, movies, CD's etc I often take them back a few weeks later, so the charity shop gets to sell them again.

You need to pick your battles for how you live.
I would love to buy all our clothes and shoes from ethical, fairtrade shops but honestly can't.
At least by buying clothes from Charity shops I am re-using something someone didn;t want AND I am NOT buying first hand cheap made-in-a-sweatshop clothing.

Pick your battles, draw your lines, live your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fight Against Crush Videos :(

Classic Black Logo