Wednesday 30 December 2009

How Green was your Xmas?

Xmas is done for another year and, as we wait for January to begin, its a good chance to reflect on how green Xmas really was.

Every year we get a little better and every year we think of new ways to make more changes.

This year the whole family got in on the act, throwing away past worries of appearing a skin flint and embracing the giving of presents that where handmade or even second hand.

I gave several second hand books, DVD's and toys that I'd come across in charity shops (or even my own book shelves!) over the last couple of months. My Kids got a handful of "stocking fillers" that came from the 5p box, cars, little action figures, card games.
My mother and sister both received jewelry from a local jewelry maker and I even got round to making some handmade chocolates!

My own family also came up trumps and under the tree for me was a box of homemade chocolates and some homemade bath bombs from my sister, wrapped in brown paper she had hand printed, she really put me to shame with that, the parcels looked beautiful.
One of my presents from my mother was a ball of wool (nylon!)and some knitting needles, and a couple of days after Xmas she showed me how to cast on, knit and cast off. By the time she had left I had knitted a (beard shaped!) dish cloth as practice and am now working on my first scarf! Baby steps I know, but this gift will enable me to make gifts for others, as well as for myself!!

My parents also gave the kids their entire collection of star wars DVD/videos and their Harry Potter collection! How trilled were they!

I make the same promise every year but NEXT year I want to aim to hand make or buy second hand the majority of peoples Xmas gifts. I can't tell you how much more special my sisters bath bombs are and how excited I was to see them, store brought ones would have barely warranted a glance before being put in a cupboard in the bathroom.

I hereby resolve to start preparing for next Xmas now! To knit gifts and learn new skills, to box chocolates when I make them so they get to the recipient before my mouth!

Present wise I think we really had a getting back to basics gift giving which surprised us all with how very much more we seemed to get for much less money and resources.

What did Santa bring you?

3 comments:

  1. Kelly - I aspire to be a little bit like you - I don't think I'm ready to give up all the 'material trappings' of modern life just yet - but hand made bath bombs I can do, so as you say, baby steps!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow ..... you did really well this festive period. And you're learning to knit too! Well done Kelly.

    I really enjoyed reading your blog during the 'gift gathering period'. It was helpful for me to know that I was not the only person buying presents from second hand shops and also making my own.

    I too resolve to do even better next year and, as my Mum loved her knitted cotton flannel so much will start making more earlier in the year. Perhaps with some home made soap......

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anon. thanks for the comment :) If everyone took babysteps think how much better the world would be. Better to make tiny changes than feel you won't make a difference without making huge ones. We ALL make the change :)

    Sandie I also really enjoyed our run up to Xmas and we should totally think up more brillent ideas for next year to share! x

    ReplyDelete

Fight Against Crush Videos :(

Classic Black Logo