Tuesday 15 January 2013

Make your own seed compost

Although I have an abundance of manure and rough compost, I wanted to make a more specific mix for seeds in the spring.
Finding a balance in the nutrients is important, although I don't use any exact formula, rather, just some common sense.
After all, I can get away with lots of one material in a larger muck heap, but seed compost needs to be full of the vital "food" seeds, and then seedlings, need to get off to a good start.
I use old Tesco boxes as they're sturdy, easily moved and have holes in the sides and bottom so worms can move freely through the layers.
Some wormeries have solid bases but I prefer my worms to have the choice of being there or not.
If you're supplying the right food they WILL come and stay and BREED like stink! If they all run away you're doing something wrong.


Top Layer
This is where you put all the fresh material. 

Second layer
Worms already working their way up! 

Wiggle....

Third layer
Already starting to look like compost.


Forth layer
The final layer here, compost almost ready to use.

Lots....

....and lots...

......of wriggly worms!



I've been building up this wormery since early autumn, and once the weather turned cold, I brought it into my green house, which also has a dirt floor so worms could "escape" if the weather turned very cold.
The worms, by the way, came from a handful I dug out of one of the muck heaps, ad they seem to have been getting busy and making lots of new ones!
  

This morning I added some more to the top layer. A shovelful of horse poo and shavings. Too many shavings aren't good as they leach nutrients out of the soil, but a handful now and then are good for soaking up excess moisture.  


I found some out of date powdered seaweed in the back of the feed room, so that got stirred in as well.


... and then some peelings from the kitchen.
Other things I put in include small amounts of cardboard and the straw, poop and feathers when I muck out the chickens.

When the bottom one is ready to use, just tip it into a container, remove as may worms as you can (and put them back in the wormery) and then put the empty box back on the top to keep the cycle going!

Happy composting!     
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fight Against Crush Videos :(

Classic Black Logo