Tuesday 19 October 2010

Ladies!! Save the planet!! Every month!

OK.
First things first.... the more squeamish men among you may wish to go do something manly about now. Dig a hole, light a fire, club some tofu... Because this post is about WOMANLY things ;)

That's right folks.... The painters are in. The Cardinal is in town. Great Aunt is here for the week.

Between staring to menstruate and going through the menopause, a woman could use @ 12000 disposable sanitary products, and if you go for a belt and braces approach (ie tampon AND towel) you're looking at a whole lot more!
However, while many women are happy to consider the use of reusable nappies (diapers) for 2 or 3 years, many are still amazingly squeamish about the thought of dealing with their own MONTHLY disposables. That's @ 35 years or so of throwing away tampons and towels and not just the product itself, but the applicators (sometimes plastic) and the packaging (often non-recyclable). Not to mention the fact that most if these products are cotton based, sprayed with pesticides, bleached and then you..... well you know where it goes.

Can that be good for us?

Rise in ovarian cancer anyone?

Anyway I've been playing with some products and thought I'd be frank about them, demystify them, make them sound appealing?

Ready??

I'll start you easy!

Reusable sanitary pads have come a long way.
I brought the Eco-Femme washable sanitary pads last year but the company I brought them from no longer stocks them.
However they are similar to many other brands I've looked at, in as much as they have "wings" which close around the crotch of your pants (panties) with a snap fastener.
I found them to be as easy to use as disposables and suitable for over night use.

Washing is easy.
A quick rinse under the tap and then wash as normal.
They dry super quick and so you only need @ 3 pads or so if you are at home and can wash them daily. You may want more if you are out and about.
If you need to change them during the day just take a small "nappy bag" with you to leave them in until you get home.

Mama Pads
Earthwise Girls
Draper's organic
WeMoon Menstral pads
Lollipop Washable Sanitary Pads
Moon rabbits cotton comforts

Some sites to get you started!
Of course I'm sure some handy ladies could run up their own at a fraction of the cost!

Now for the scary one!!

The MOONCUP!!!

OK, I will admit the Mooncup freaked me out at first. Not the idea of it (basically a silicon "cup" that sits inside the vagina and collects the menstrual flow) but the SIZE of the damn thing!
Which is silly when I've had sex and have three kids and its no where NEAR as big as .... OK, moving on....

The mental barrier you have to get through is the fact that while you're thinking "tampon" the mooncup looks like a giant plumbers mate.
Also unlike a tampon you have to get personal.
The most popular tampons are still the ones that come with applicators which mean you can keep your delicate repressed hands away from any "naughty" bits.

Oh come on!

Suck it up ladies and get acquainted with your womanly bits!
Yes, using a mooncup is definitely hands on but hugely rewarding for your bank balance, your health and the environment.

So here is a diagram so I don't have to say too much!
 




It also comes with a cute little baggie to keep it in!

Anyway.
Like a tampon you change the mooncup every 4-6 hrs or so, emptying the contents down the loo and washing or wiping the cup out before re-inserting it.
Does it feel huge?
Sure the first couple of times, much like when I was a teenager and using tampons, it feels like you have to waddle at first! 
By the end of day one though I'd got the hang of it and by day two I forgot I was wearing it at all.

No leaking (unlike tampons) and no mess.

Win win folks.

Anyway, that's my red letter day post. Any thoughts? 








9 comments:

  1. Took me a little longer than a day to get used to the mooncup, but love it now! Couldn't go back! Love walking past the 'feminine aisle' in the supermarket and not having to shell any money out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes! wonderful post about wonderful products, have been using the pads for years now. A friend of mine makes them - http://www.moonrabbits.co.uk - small, (vegan) business here in Aberdeenshire :) plug... plug...

    so much nicer than disposable in just about every way aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks :) Plug away! I'll add the link in the post as well :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been using a mooncup for ~3 years now and will NEVER go back to tampons! I recently visited my parents for a month, forgot to take my mooncup with me and I was so disgusted by the idea of using tampons/pads that I bought a new mooncup!
    I find that my periods have become shorter using a mooncup rather than tampons (I suppose the tampon acts a bit like a plug?).
    Incidentally, it was two guys who first told me about mooncups and how great their partners thought they are.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've thought about the mooncup but wondered how convenient it is to empty/clean in a public restroom. I'm an on-the-go, lots of traveling kinda gal who spends significantly more time in public restrooms than her own private one. And what about being active? With a tampon I can still ride and swim and whatnot without worries...is it the same with the Mooncup?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for this insightful review of alternatives Kelly.
    I have often wondered about the Mooncup and other options, but have not had the courage or the time to explore.
    I think that the Mooncup sounds like a great option and I'm sure with time it will become second nature to use an alternative product.
    I will give it a go and let you know how I get on!
    Thanks again for this post xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ T, welcome to the blog!
    I have found EXACTLY that! I ususally have to use tampons for @ 5 days, I only had to use the mooncup for 2 and a bit days, so light now I just have a lightweight pad on! I had the very same thought. I was nowhere near as heavy as I usually am so to allow it to *flow* in a more natural way surely must be good for you??

    @Jen, I rode, it was fine. Once in properly you can't feel anything at all :) IN all honesty I havn't been out an about with it, put I would imagine if you were organised and had a tint bottle (spray?) of water and some toilet roll you can clean it very well and just wash properly at home? It does say you can just wipe it out. If it was likely to be a big problem maybe it would be worth buying two so you can insert a clean one halfway through the day and take your (wiped) other one home in a bag? Will try and go out next time and let you know lol.
    @mooncatkidd it really is as easy as a tampon after a few practices and I'm totally converted :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I lovelovelove my mooncup - I got it about a year ago and have never looked back, they suit me better than re-usable pads as I tend to have quite heavy periods so it just means I can empty it more often! As for out and about, I just rinse it out using the toilet flush water. I know some people will get squeamish and germ phobic at the thought but I figure it's clean water coming from the cistern tank in a big, good-for-cleaning gush and I don't put the cup anywhere near the 'waste water'. Fresher than just giving it a shine with some toilet paper. Before I came up with that solution, I just made sure I had a bottle of water in my handbag that I'd use to flush it out and then top-up at the taps when I was washing my hands. Simples!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi DJ, knowing my luck I'd loose my mooncup down the toilet if I tried that lol. For sure though, its drinking grade water that flushed so why not!
    Thanks for stopping by x

    ReplyDelete

Fight Against Crush Videos :(

Classic Black Logo