Tuesday 16 February 2010

Poverty and going green.

Looking through the magazines and catalogs you could be mistaken for thinking that to ge green you need to spend a lot of money.
After all, those solar panels and hybrid cars don't come cheap do they!

As a family who live below the poverty line set by the government I can categorically state that money is no barrier to living as green as you can and in many cases is a positive hindrance.

A lack of money can make you more aware of the materials you have around you to do a job. A bottle does as good a job as an expensive candle stick, half a plastic drinks bottle is a fantastic mini cloche in the greenhouse.

Yesterday I saved myself £100 by building my own wormery.
Admittedly its with supermarket boxes that don't OFFICIALLY belong to me, but that's by the by. They shouldn't keep leaving them with me should they!

I took 3 boxes and lined the bottom one with thick cardboard then half filled it with well rotted muck, then I put the second box in and filled that halfway with muck, then lastly the third had a sprinkling of muck then some veggie peelings and a layer of newspaper.



Yes..that is more snow you see *sigh*



The worms came for free out of the muck heap and will be added too as the weather grows warmer. Hunting for worms in the snow wasn't very profitable!
I topped the whole thing off with a lid held on with a bungee rope.
Not only did I save money but I also had no need for a product to be made for me and transported to me, so extra green brownie points for me!

I also had to use my (rusty..ok , none existent)sewing skills this week.
Little Merle dog is still teeny tiny and has a thin coat not suited to being only 3lb in sub zero temps, so he needed a coat, but I wasn't about to spend £30+ on some ting that probably wouldn't fit him as he's so small...so I MADE one!!!




Its basically the sleeve of broken fleece jacket that I cut and hemmed and added a band of elastic too! Does the job and fits him well, and I won't cry if he out grows it!

So that's my creativity this week.

Another problem this week is the semi-demise of our washing machine.
I don't know if its because we can never afford the "good" electrical equipment or because all electric goods have built in obsolescence but this stuff just won't last!!
At the moment I can get a spin out of it so I am washing clothes in the bath and spinning them after.
How long this will keep working though I don't know.

What I would really love is a good twin tub like my Mother in law used to have.
You could fill it from the tap with water as warm or cool as you liked and re-use the water as well. I used to split washing into 3 groups, lights, darks and dirty's.
The lights would go in the first, then the darker clothes then the dirty clothes like gardening and stable clothes, gloves etc, that way you could use the same water for 3 washes. Then simply swap it into the spin part and fill with water for a quick rinse and spin.
Looking out for one in the free papers, a brand new one STARTS at over £250.
The other option is a spin drier and to continue to hand wash but I don't know how feasible that is, guess I will find out over the next few weeks!

So you see its pretty easy to be green when there is no money.
There are a million stores and websites catering for the monied green wannabe, but is it really a "green" option? Is it better to buy a dress made form organic fair trade bamboo or to bye one from a charity shop and then turn it into something else when your done with it?

What do you think?

8 comments:

  1. Re twin tubs - Nan had a brilliant one for about 18 years, then when she moved there wasn't room for it in her "fitted" kitchen, so was persuaded by auntie Bubs to get modern and have an automatic. Hmm. In 10 years I think she got through three of them and constantly cursed getting rid of "TWINNY". I have been looking for a twin tub for a number of years now and got quite excited when someone posted on a blog that they had seen one. Unfortunately, when I looked it up, it was very small and "plasticy", looked like it would last about 5 minutes! What I would REALLY like is a top loading machine such as they have in the States but I have had no luck sourcing any.

    By the way, I don't think the dog looks very impressed - "look what she is making me wear!!"

    Mum xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, 'Necessity is the mother of invention.'

    Perhaps this latest economic down-turn is the only thing that is going to turn a lot of people 'green'. I hope so!

    Great worm farm, by the way Kelly xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the problem I'm finding, the twin tubs are wither VERY expensive or flimsy. I saw a great idea, a camping washing machine that you hand cranked liek a butter churn, had loads of great reviews around the internet but guess what? As of last year we can no longer get them in the UK :( Its called the wonder wash if you wanted to google it.

    And Merle LOVES his coat I'll have you know ;)

    Thanks Sandie! Fingers X'd it works!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As usual great post Kelly. I think its a huge misconception that going green has to be expensive. With Odum being a student and me staying at home with the kids we've had to find more economical ways to do things too. Cleaning products are a huge place for money savings, some of the regular cleaners are ridiculously expensive. And a bottle of vinegar, baking soda and a little elbow grease will do just as good and usually better job.

    I think the sad thing is that many people want new items, pretty bottles and containers and don't realize what it takes to get those things.

    Ugh good luck with the washer. I'm having huge issues with our dryer right now.

    Merle is the cutest dog I've ever seen! He's so teeny!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yup he is rather isn't he ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Re: "littlest cutest doggy in the whole wide world ever.......(drum roll)....MERLE!!!!!!! you may have to make him something to keep his little tummy warm & dry. (he weely, weely, weely is the cutest widdle doggy!!)

    Re: washing machines, have they stopped making the table top ones or do they just not supply them in the UK anymore?

    Mum xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brilliant, you're so right, going green doesn't need to cost a lot! I love your homemade wormery and the lovely dog coat! There used to be a launderette round the corner from where we live which can be a good solution to the lack of washing machine, but having to travel miles to a launderette wouldn't be....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome Crafty Green Poet :)
    Sadly my nearest laundrette is 20 miles away :( However Its been a year since I had a washing machine and its not been too bad really... check out this post :)http://thealmostcarlessfamily.blogspot.com/2010/03/why-i-love-power-off.html I have a little portable spinner now which helps a lot but I find the washing is as clean as when I did it in a machine :)

    ReplyDelete

Fight Against Crush Videos :(

Classic Black Logo