Thursday 7 January 2010

Not QUITE at the stage of cannibalism, but.....

The weather goes on (and on, and on, and on.....) but in a masochistic way I'm kind of glad.
I'm a big fan of the "no coincidence" rule (there may actually be a rule but I kind of made this up myself.). When I dithered about going vegan I got asthma and was led down that road for health. When we spent years debating about going car-less our car made the decision and blew up. So when we get snowed in (well almost. We make sure someone always stays home in case the snow gets worse so the animals are taken care of!)it gives plenty of time to reflect on what we could do better.

Since the power off weekend we have spent a lot of time thinking about power consumption and how to do without such everyday items as the fridge and freezer. We didn't miss it at all during the weekend and certainly in this weather there is no need for either.
For Xmas my parents brought me the book Root Cellaring which explains the principles of storing food through the winter without the aid of fridge, freezer or having to jar/can/bottle everything.


An important thing I learned from the book was that you DON'T have to have a cellar!! A revelation to me! Although a cellar with correct humidity is an ideal, it shows you that it is perfectly acceptable to make varied storage in your own house and in sheds.

The one thing we have learned these few weeks is that we really should be more prepared. I no longer feel silly for thinking we should have a basic winter larder for emergencies. Even if its just a hundred tins of baked beans and some pasta!

In planning the veggie garden this year I am placing an emphasis of crops that store well, can be preserved (ie jam and pickle) and also be earthed up and left in the ground (like parsnips and swede).I also want to try and have SOMETHING always growing in the garden, so the little hot bed will be planted with early salad in February and be covered and insulated to grow spinach over winter.

Is this not the BEST root cellar EVER!



The biggest worry we have and is feeding the horses.
The snow is too deep and hard for them to dig for grass and so for the last 2 and 1/2weeks they have been fed their entire rations, which means a big bale of hay which would last us up to a month is now being eaten in less than a week!
The main problem we have here is storage. Without a barn we can only keep in 2 bales at a time which means we are always on tender hooks worrying about if we can't get any hay because of weather or even worse, people not having any to sell.
Next year we will get our field cut and keep half of it. IN the past we have no bothered because of the storage issue, but now we plan to build a shelter, even if its just a roof on legs with some tarp, at least we won't have to worry.

Well UK people, hope your getting through the winter OK...and the rest of the world? You either don't have the weather or are used to it right?

Now, excuse me while I test the kids for tenderness ;)

2 comments:

  1. I sort of love the bizarre-ness of the weather. I think the primal nature of it, being outwith our control is making many people think deeply about their lives.

    Love the idea of storage like that... great bus!

    We do have stuff growing all the time now though not much at the mo. (herbs, cabbage, lettuce, still some tatties in the ground) - it's a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how people are getting uptight about things like getting to work and school and angry about things "not being sorted out".
    Its WEATHER for godsake!
    I'm sick of turning on the radio and hearing about people winging about being stuck in their car on the road (Police said don't go out!) and experts telling us how terrible it is for the economy.
    No one seems to be able to move with the seasons anymore. I for one am intending to pay much more attention to the seasons and to adapt my life acordingly. I can't just hop on my bike and go to the shops now, so I have to do without or plan better!
    And that bus!
    If it was mine I would probably have turned it into a bedroom lol, pretty cool though ;)

    ReplyDelete

Fight Against Crush Videos :(

Classic Black Logo