Sunday 22 November 2009

What did YOU do to save the planet today?


Like many of you in blog land, we here at the (almost)car-less family, are trying to do out bit for the planet.
Now unlike some eco-warriors (or worriers for the less go getting people out there)I don't believe the answer is to give up all our possessions and go live in a mud hut in the woods.
For a start the woods would end up awful crowded and most people would get pretty fed up pretty quickly of washing their clothes in the babbling brook, especially if there are ten other families lined up behind them waiting THEIR turn.

No. I think Pandora's box has not only been opened, but tipped upside down and shook till its hinges rattled.
Lets face it. We like our fridges and tumble driers. our stereos and computers, our washing machines and dishwashers.
They may not be essentials in a live or die way, but they DO make life a hell of a lot easier, especially for the elderly and infirm, the busy mother or the avid volunteer, people who have a desire or indeed NEED for these time saving options.

Technology is making these appliances greener all the time and new gadgets, like the Solar monkey, mean that you can charge your small goods for free.

Inroads are being made into greener energy and I personally feel that so long as scientists are funded and encouraged to come up with these carbon neutral ideas, we will have a chance of living on earth for a little longer than we have in thought in the last few years.

But none of these statements means I feel its ok to sit on your laurels and wait for the magic button to appear.
At the moment we have a duty to do all we can within our household to cut back on carbon.

Re-cycling, turning appliances off instead of leaving them on standby, using lower settings on central heating, these have been drummed into us so much that they are now almost second nature.

So how can we think outside the box?

Our own plan would ideally see us coming off grid. Providing our own energy requirements in a sustainable way.
At the moment this isn't practical.
I have my doubts as to how much energy we would get out of solar panels living here in Scotland. As we approach the shortest day it is already dark by 4pm most nights and the sun doesn't come up until nearly 8am.
Wind power seems like a good idea, we do get plenty of wind, but living at the base of a mountain with hills surrounding us means that the flow of wind over the blades of a propeller would be too erratic to work well.

Without being able to throw money at projects that are likely to yield little we have to find ways of reducing our carbon with the tools we have.

One of our long term projects is the renovation of the flimsy 1960's extension on our house. (this picture is not our house *sigh*)

It has a leaky flat roof and amazingly thin walls. The plan is to try and replace the roof with a turf one, thereby insulating to a much higher degree and encouraging more bees and other insects by scattering wild flower seeds up there.
Our solution to the cold walls is to add an external glass corridor. By using reclaimed double glazing units we can encase the outside of the extension in glass like a wrap around conservatory. This means that not only will we get heat from the sun (the extension is roughly south facing) to warm the house but that we will also have extra green house space to grow early plants in!
We shall probably add vents in the walls to use it like a trombe wall, allowing warm air to enter and then push cold air out.

But this is a long term thing. We still have a few windows to re-claim form places like freecycle, not to mention finding roofing sheets and timber.
In the meantime I am doing my best to keep electricity to a minimum.

My two main contributions today have been...

Versatile heating.
By having the log burner lit this morning I have managed to a) Heat the house (via open doors, we have no other heating) b) heat the hot water and c) Cook all our meals. My aim is to cook as many meals on the log burner as possible when it is lit so that I can save using the electric cooker. Seriously though, the log burner cooks stuff much better, although, obviously, I can't bake on it. SO for the price of one appliance running (ie stuffing the fire with wood) I have the use of three.

Bath time washing.
We have 3 kids...no, we have 3 BOYS.
Boys=mud=lots of washing.
Recently I have started saving washing for after someone has had a bath (shared water of course ;)).
After the bath has been vacated, I tip the dirty clothes into the bath water and then hoick up my trouser legs and stamp on it all for a good five minutes like a grape crusher.

Then I leave the clothes in over night to soak.
In the morning I pick out enough clothes to go in the washing machine, if they are dark or only lightly soiled I put them on a cool rinse and spin cycle rather than a wash. If they are light or dirtier I put them on the 30 minutes quick wash at 30oC. This saves a heap in time, water heated (by electricity)and laundry liquid.
The main point is its the SOAKING that gets your clothes clean, a quick rinse and spin is all most need, not even a real wash cycle. The soaking shifts the dirt and the rinse and spin get rid of it!

So that's us at the moment.
Saving the planets one wash cycle at a time.

take a moment to leave a comment and let us know what YOU did to save the planet today!


9 comments:

  1. You are hardcore! My efforts pale in comparison.

    Today wasn't the greatest day for being green. But my ongoing efforts include breastfeeding my 15 month old, no bottles or water to wash bottles or energy used to sterilize. And I cloth diapered Maya as well.

    Tomorrow though I will make the 14KM round trip to Tristan's therapy appointments on the bike. I'm pretty proud of that one, especially since its the end of Novemeber!

    Your plans for your house sound amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We all do what we can when we can right??
    I had to bottle feed all my kids because of complications..so I'm probably still catching you up in the green stakes ! ;)
    I am excited about the house..its stuff we can do even on our tiny budget (well..nil really)just a matter of getting it all together..will be writing more about it and posting pics when we DO start!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Social Networking could change the world: I'm now able to see that there are many folk who feel me.

    Sometimes, in the past, I would wonder if I was the only freaky person on the planet who gave a S#!T .....

    It is so great to communicate with like-minds dotted all over this beautiful planet.

    Kelly, I love your blog and your lifestyle sounds idylic. Are you on facebook - Do you fancy connecting there too?

    Wigfield1000 signing off!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutly! I am open to anyone connecting with me via FB. You can find me here --> facebook.com/ACarLessFamily

    And yes, I do think SN will save the world.

    I live in what could polietly be described as the oil capital of the UK, a couple of households in the village aside I am surrounded by BIG cars, BIG extensions and rediculous amounts of cash. Makes me feel very poor and very weird sometimes (oh its also the beef capital of the UK so that covers being vegan as well :P).
    Its fantastic to link up with other ppl, share ideas, cheer each other on :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well...hmmmm...we grow our own food and we still haven't turned the furnace on this year. When the girls start complaining about the cold I tell them to put on another sweater! They hate me. But at least I'm not burning any propane at the moment! :P

    My husband and I also carpool to work together when we can. Unfortunately, living the country lifestyle we want to live means our commute to our "real" jobs is quite long, so carpooling does save a buttload of gas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah we are the sweater masters!! lol...
    We only have the log burner, no radiators, there is one portable electric heater which is only for the extream weather, and in fact is switched on maybe a handful of times a year. For most of the time by leaving the doors open in the house the log burner keeps most of the house comfortable.
    When we are chilly we put a fleece on or even snuggle under a duvet on the sofa if we are watching a movie or reading.

    Growing food is THE most important thing you can do. I love going from food miles to foot feet!
    At least you carpool to get to work. When Kim tried to carpool here no one was interested :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. What parallels: I live in the mining capital of Australia (Perth,WA), where most folk drive giant 4WD's and live in McMansions, consuming conspicuously.

    They're never at home (the males generally flying in and out to the mines). Their kids go to daycare from a few weeks old and then 'holiday care' once they are at school.

    The only thing that is going to stop this lot is the economic downturn......

    The great thing is, that for most of the year the beaches are almost empty for our exclusive enjoyment xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Totally he same..but I don't have the beaches!! :(

    Daycare is yet another area we stick out with...I also didn;t send my kids to nursery at 2 like everyone else.

    Children I think suffer in the quest for more STUFF, if my family can survive on a tiny income with 3 kids (and assorted animals, Icluding horses!) then many MANY of the families around here could get by on a single income instead of both going out because they NEED a bigger house, BIGGER car, MORE holidays MORE STUFF!

    Ok rant over ;)

    Hmm..I need beaches in my life though lol.

    ReplyDelete

Fight Against Crush Videos :(

Classic Black Logo